Sunday, April 27, 2014

The South Short Loop

A Calm Friday Evening

No wind, a rarity in spring, but the forecast was for horrific winds at least through Monday.  So I took advantage of the warm, calm air and headed out on my trusty stead. 
My route took me south along the east bank of the Alameda Drain. On the west side, an overflow from the Albuquerque Acequia pours into the drain. 

I continue south until Floral Rd, then turn west, crossing Rio Grande Blvd.  My route continues west until Gabaldon Rd, then jogs south again, under I-40 to pick up the bike path on the other side. 





From there, it's a straight shot up the riverside bike path to the bridge into Thomas Village. 


Rather than ride down Matthew, a bumpy and busy street, I take to the east bank of the Duranes Acequia.  A short while upstream the Charlie Mann Lateral peels off to the west and the watercourse takes the name Duranes Lateral. 

The vegetation is greener here than in most of the route.


A zig and a zag brings the route to Campbell where the gate is particularly unfriendly to bicycles and impossible for horses. 

A quick peddle east, across Rio Grande Blvd, and then home via the bike path along the Griegos Interior Drain. 

No comments:

Post a Comment